So ladies, do you too work in a not so formal environment? You know when you have a strictly formal dress code – its easy to pick your clothes. A formal trouser and a crisp cotton shirt and you are sorted. But when you work in a non formal work environment its a different ball game. Since I do not have to be always dressed in formals I have a whole plethora of options open – my entire wardrobe calls out to me every morning to make a new choice and stun myself (that was dramatic). But then I cannot be dressed too casually for work either. I am not one of those who can walk to work in slippers. And I also do not need to always wear formal trousers to look all set.
One of the most important part of dressing for an informal dress-code workplace is to keep it stylish but not trashy/too casual. I have listed down some of the Dos and Donts below. Have something to add? Tell me
- Graphic T-Shirt: If you want to wear a graphic printed T-Shirt – pair it with a blazer/Boy friend Jacket (single colour) to tone down the quirk.
- 3/4th (Capris): Do not go over-board and wear 3/4th. Ankle length trousers are good but 3/4th are a no-no for any office place (casual or formal).
- Floaters: NO. STOP WEARING THEM TO OFFICE, PARTIES, or any other social gathering.
- Fashion Clothing: No you should not wear Maxis, Pallazzos, Jumpsuits and Rompers to work. Its not a fashion show that you are going to attend. Its work for God’s sake!
- Animal Print: You can definitely try to incorporate a little bit of this in your dressing. Animal Printed shoes – Yes. If you are wearing an all black outfit a leopard printed heels will only do the outfit some good. A animal print top – well if you can combine it with a solid trouser and black pumps and make it look formal then yes. No to Animal printed leggings. Leggings anyways are a big no-no.
- Accessories: Oh this is a grey area. Now my previous office (the one with a formal dress code) frowned upon jewellery but informal work place has a higher tolerance level. As long as they do not make too much of clanky noise they are ok. Ofcourse do not end up looking like a christmas tree. Try to keep it minimal. (I have adorned 2 pieces for my look in the pic below – but you can do away with one if two chunky pieces are too much)
Here is my work look.
Original Blue Jeans: Levis
Blue Top: UCB
Black Blazor: Van Huesen
Gold Statement Necklace and Gold Cuffs: Myntra
Nude Shoes: Charles & Keith
Please remember that workplace often expects you to be smartly dressed – no matter what is the dress code. Just because the rule book does not say “Formal Dressing” do not go about making your office an extension of your house (i.e. do not go in pyjamas) neither make it a fashion parade. If you want people to take you seriously – dress accordingly.
PS. The gold statement necklace is up for grabs in the Birthday Giveaway. So if you have not participated yet – what are you waiting for? Last date for entries is 14th August 2014.